Sunday, July 18, 2010

Inception


First off, welcome to Killer Korn, my movie review blog. So many people who know me consider me a critic and think I'm too hard on films because I view them differently then the average viewer (not that you're average but you know what I mean). I chose to put my thoughts on movies down in a blog (kudos to Art for helping out with the blog name).

Now I chose to start my blog reviewing the most amazing movie of the year so far (Tron Legacy may have something to say about movie of the year but we'll have to wait until December for that). Inception by Christopher Nolan is without a doubt the best movie of the year and so far it's put to shame every movie that's come before it this year. That's because not only is Inception an original idea and not a part 2 or part 3 (i.e Iron Man 2, Toy Story 3, Shrek the Third) but because it has something for every movie goer.

It's an intelligent movie, almost a "talkie" (that's what I call a movie when there's more talking than there is action) but just when you think that the action erupts on the screen with no apologies. A foot chase through Mombasa, a car chase through the streets with a van full of sleeping people complete with freight train, a shootout on snow covered mountains and so much more.

Dom Cobb played by Leonardo DeCaprio is the leader of a rag tag team hired to do something that's deemed to dangerous and virtually impossible. Inception is a movie where Dom and his team are hired to enter your dreams and steal your secrets. This time a Japanese businessman (Ken Watanabe) wants to hire Dom and his team (Ellen Page as the architect, Joseph-Gorden Levitt as Dom's right hand man, and Tom Hardy as the forger) to plant an idea into the subconcious of Cillian Murphy to get him to change his mind on a business idea. That's one hell of a plot but when you throw on top of all that how Dom can't get over or let go of the memory of his deceased wife Mal (Marion Coutillard) and how he's doing this last job in the hopes of getting home to his children and you have the makings of the meatiest movie in a long time.

I didn't think Nolan could top The Dark Knight but Inception blows Dark Knight out of the water and that's definitely with the help of Hans Zimmer score. It's taut with tension and pushes the movie along in ways a score is supposed to. It becomes a character on it's own and it's definitely one of Hans' best score in a long time (yes it's better than his score for last years Sherlock Holmes and that was a pretty good one too).

I am going to see it again because I want to make sure I didn't miss anything (it's possible) and basically because it's just a damn good movie. If you haven't seen it, SEE IT! And if you have seen it and are going to see it again, I'll see you at the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment