Sunday, August 26, 2012

Robot & Frank

If you are looking for a charming, heart warming, independent (aka low budget) film to see then let me recommend Robot & Frank. When I saw the trailer about a month before this movie opened I thought it looked cute and quite possibly worth seeing, I love it when I'm right. Robot & Frank stars coincidentally enough, Frank Langella as Frank, a dotty old crook who does or doesn't have Alzheimer's. I have to tell you, I'm still not certain he does or doesn't and I think the movie should have made that a lot clearer unless they were aiming for ambiguity. If that is the case the BRAVO! Job well done. The film also stars James Marsden as Hunter, the frustrated son of Frank, Live Tyler as Franks flighty, robot mistrusting daughter Madison, Susan Sarandon who plays Jennifer, the local librarian and Franks love interest, and Peter Sarsgaard as the voice of Robot.

Written by Christopher D. Ford and directed by Jake Schreier, Robot and Frank takes place in the near future in some little bucolic upstate NY town. Frank lives on his own and wouldn 't have it any other way. He lives like a slob and he seems fine with that. Every week Hunter makes the long drive up to see about his dad but the travel and worry is getting to him. So much so that he buys his dad his own personal robotic assistant. Robot's main objective is to get Frank up and moving again, to get him to live a healthy lifestyle, to eat better, and find something Frank can focus on, like a hobby. Frank thinks the damn thing is going to kill him in his sleep and besides, Frank is more interested in getting to know Jennifer better than eating healthy and starting a garden anyway. Jennifer's library is going all digital thanks to the times and they are closing the place down and those responsible are throwing a party that Jennifer invites Frank to. Once there he figures out the perfect hobby for him and Robot to indulge in.

Frank is a retired "second story man", a cat burglar who spent quite a few years in jail for the crimes he's committed but he's decided to break out the tools of the trade and get back in the game. Robot does it's best to talk Frank out of training him to pick locks and crack safes but Frank wouldn't hear of it and the two of them make a deal. Suddenly, much to the shock of Hunter and the horror of Madison, Frank and Robot become the best of pals and their banter is hilarious at times. Like I stated, the movie is charming and though I've never really been a Frank Langella fan, he is fantastic in this movie. If you love him already then this is a must see. If you are a casual fan, like me then he'll impress you with his performance.

Much like the movie, the music by Francis and the Lights is breezy and fun with interesting melodies. It's perfect for the story and doesn't get in the way of any of the performances. I enjoyed this movie so much that if I live long enough, I will have to get me a personal robotic assistant myself. Unlike Frank though, I'll name mine. Go see this film before the big fall and winter movies open, you won't be sorry and I'll see you at the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment