Saturday, May 16, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Max: Fury Road, the latest film by George Miller is light on story but full on with action and it's the action that simply takes your breath away. This movie is an over the top, testosterone fueled, relentless spectacle that takes the Mad Max brand to another level. I have never seen anything like this movie and I doubt I ever will. I know the movie year is just getting started and there's a certain movie about a war amongst the stars that has yet to come but right now Mad Max: Fury Road is the most entertaining movie of the year. I can't help but give it four and a half buckets of Killer Korn.










I'm just going to start my blog off with this...HOLY SHIT!!!!! Mad Max: Fury Road is one movie I am definitely going to see again. It's got so much of what you want and what you need in a Mad Max movie along with some things you don't want. However, the good outweighs the bad so much that you can easily ignore that pesky bad stuff. Tom Hardy this time is the laconic/frenzied survivor Max taking the place of Mel Gibson and he looks like he was born to play the part. Where Mel was lithe and looked like he wouldn't be able to take or give a sufficient ass whooping, Tom is hulking and comes across as someone you don't really want to fuck with even when he's locked up. The lovely Charlize Theron plays Imperator Furiosa and  believe me when I tell you, you have never seen Charlize like this before. I had no idea she had the chops to do the action stuff but you buy it when you see it and that's all that matters. The rest of the cast includes Nicholas Hoult who plays Nux, Hugh Keays-Byrne who plays Immortan Joe, Zoe Kravitz, Josh Helman, Nathan Jones, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Riley Keough, Abbey Lee, and Courtney Eaton. The rest of the cast doesn't really matter, trust me.

Now remember when I said how the good outweighed the bad and how the good was SO good that you'd ignore the bad? Well if you know me then you know how much a good story impacts heavily on how much I like or dislike a film. This movie, yeah it's super light on story, paper thin in fact (not to mention it's in annoying 3D) BUT the shit that goes on as this movie rambles and rumbles down Fury Road is so jaw-droppingly sick that you'll forgive George, Brendan McCarthy, and Nick Lathouris for taking writing credit on this. The fact that three guys wrote this is pretty damn funny when you take into consideration how little dialogue this is and the fact that a fifth grader could have come up with the plot. The saving grace is the fifth grader couldn't have dreamed up these action sequences if you sent him to bed on acid. I would love to give you a hint as to what you should prepare yourself for but fuck that, you're on your own and you know what, you'll thank me. Just know this, I have never ever seen a movie like Mad Max: Fury Road in all my movie going years.

George Miller has truly outdone himself this time. He's made up significantly for the lack of women presence in the previous three Max movies. He's even gave clues to just how broken a man his iconic character is. Something he failed to deal with the first time around. Tom Hardy is right now the man and his chemistry with Charlize is palpable. Those two should definitely do more movies together and if Fury Road does well at the box office, there will be at least one more pairing of these two. The cinematography was beautiful. Shot by Oscar award winner John Seale, not just was the bleakness of the wasteland captured beautifully but so was the muck, the sand, the rock, and the green place. The colors were deep and vibrant and the framing was excellent. Tom Holkenborg aka Junkie XL scored this movie and he definitely impressed me. After his score on 300: Rise of an Empire I was left wanting. Not this time around. On Fury Road he seems to have come into his own, evolving as a musician and realizing the difference between putting music in a movie and scoring. Well done sir. Since the second line of this entry revealed that I have every intention of seeing this movie again then you can best believe that I highly recommend Mad Max: Fury Road. It is without a fucking doubt one of the best shits and giggles film ever made and I'll see you at the theater.






No comments:

Post a Comment