Sunday, June 29, 2014

Third Person

Third Person, the latest film from Oscar Award winner writer/director Paul Haggis is a complete mind fuck, in a good way. It takes you on a myriad of journeys as you follow a collection of some seriously flawed and sometimes very damaged people as they live their lives. The story within the story element here works for me on a good number of levels which is why I give Third Person three buckets of Killer Korn.












I first became consciously aware of Paul Haggis when I first saw the 2004 Best Picture award winning film Crash. It was a movie that stunned me into silence, granted it was a bit heavy handed at times, but it made a significant point to me about the world in which I inhabit. I instantly became a Haggis fan and since that day in 2004 he hasn't really let me down. I won't say he's done spectacular work, but when I see the name Paul Haggis, I expect nothing less than a well written story and a solid film. That's exactly what I got in his latest offering, Third Person. Since the movie is about a writer, much like myself I definitely wanted to see it, to see if I could relate to it in some way. Needless to say I could. The film follows many characters played by a collection of talented actors like Liam Neeson, Olivia Wilde, Mila Kunis, Maria Bello, Adrien Brody, Kim Basinger, James Franco and on and on. They all play people struggling in some way to make it to the next day. Some deal with insecurities so paralyzing that that they could stop a team of oxen in it's tracks while others will do anything, absolutely ANYTHING for love.

Liam Neeson is a world renown, Pulitzer prized novelist and he is currently working on a new book. Apparently what makes him such a good read is he exposes his life on the pages of his tomes, baring his soul for all those who dare to read. The movie shows the characters living out their lives and doing battle with each other on one level or another and most of those battles center around children. One woman is fighting to see the son she almost let die in her care as she goes up against her famous artist ex husband. Another is a couple dealing with the loss of a child due to neglect that tears them apart at the seams. There is a woman who falls for a man as he tries to do everything he can to help get her daughter out of the hands of an extortionist. And the most interesting storyline is the author's affair with a beautiful young, vibrant, independent, cruel, and extremely insecure woman. Like Crash I wondered if all these story lines would somehow intersect, that would have been amazing. Instead what I got was an ending that wasn't as amazing as it was satisfying.

Third Person is an intriguing film, I just don't think everyone would get it. I fell in love with this movie because I understood the author and his creative process, how as a writer you eat, sleep, and breathe your characters every day and you get to know them almost as well as you know yourself. That "living in your head" thing that most writers get accused of is prevalent here, but it's done in an honest and truthful way. Shot by cinematographer Gianfilippo Corticelli, this movie was beautiful to look at. With this kind of story the film was shot with a realism that was almost surprising. Scored by the Oscar Award winning composer Dario Marianelli, the music was amazing. It fit the pace, playfulness, and heartbreak of this film perfectly. Kudos to you Dario. I recommend Third Person but that comes with a caveat, if you leave the film scratching your head don't say I didn't warn you...because I did. I'll see you at the theater.

MarkEricEntertainment


No comments:

Post a Comment