Monday, October 6, 2014

Nas: Time Is Illmatic

Nas: Time is Illmatic, the debut documentary from director One9 is a magnificent trip down memory lane. The film seems to almost ask you, where were you when you first heard the most influential rap album ever dropped, Illmatic. One9 and writer Erik Parker have put together a film that somehow recaptured the energy of New York during what has proven to be one of the most pivotal times in rap music and hip hop culture. Because of that I give Nas: Time is Illmatic four buckets of Killer Korn.










I can't even begin to lie, this movie brought me back to a time that got pushed to the back of my mind. Thanks to adulthood and adulthood issues, the early to mid nineties got shoved aside because room had to be made for current shit that comes with growing older so this movie was the key that unlocked that door where all those memories were stored. I still listen to Illmatic but I somehow put away the memories that came along with that twenty year old classic. This movie unearthed them and forced me to remember them no matter how pleasing or painful they may have been. Leafing through those times in my memory book made me smile and made me understand why I still relish Nas' classic Illmatic, when I hear that album it transports me back to a time when things were fun's like time stands still.

I was twenty five when Illmatic dropped and I was introduced to it by my boy George and to say that my mind was blown would be an understatement. That was the second time rap music has done that too me. The first time was when I heard Eric B. & Rakim's 12" Eric B. is President, Nas followed that up with Illmatic, and then Eminem blew me away with The Marshall Mathers LP. It was Nas' Illmatic however that hit me the hardest and Nas: Time Is Illmatic offers behind the scenes information on the making of that album that a true fan will always be thankful for. The film is chock full of interviews by those that had a hand in putting Nas on, getting Nas signed, and having a hand in creating his classic debut. The film does more than that though, it takes you on a journey of Nas' life. From the start it vividly details the pain, trials, tribulations, and victories he's had throughout his life and career and it all culminates at the one place that would have seemed like a billion miles away from the housing project Nas grew up in, Harvard University.

Nas: Time is Illmatic touches on all the highs and lows of his life. It speaks to the rivalries he's had with other artists, the loss of his mother and best friend, the breakup and re-connection with his father and so much more. The cinematography was a bit off at times bordering on annoying by Frank Larson but he pulls it together more times than he loses it. For a debut film it was an amazing film and for a true fan of Nasir Jones, this was made for you. If you love Nas and Illmatic then I highly recommend Time. If you aren't that big of a fan of his but remember that period of New York fondly then you should check this movie out if you can, you will not leave disappointed and I'll see you at the theater.  









No comments:

Post a Comment