Saturday, November 8, 2014

Interstellar

Interstellar, the latest from accomplished director Christopher Nolan is a monster of a movie. It contains everything anyone could ever want from a film. The action sequences are riveting, the space scenes are breathtaking, and the emotional impact is sledge hammer like. The cast is perfect and Christopher Nolan has one again delivered a film that will make you think, make you laugh, hold your breath, and even make you cry. I think it's one of the best movies of the year which is why I am giving Interstellar five buckets of Killer Korn.









SEE THIS MOVIE!

Now that I got that out of the way I can continue. The movie is Interstellar and it is beyond anything I have ever seen before, and I have seen a lot of movies. I have been a Christopher Nolan fan since Memento and while I may not have enjoyed all of the films he has directed, he has a winning record in my book so I give him the benefit of the doubt when he has a new release set to hit theaters. I call Chris "the master of the plot hole" because there have been some sizable ones in his films. However, this have never lessened my enjoyment or made me question the invested time and monies I put out to see his work because I am always rewarded in the end. Interstellar is no exception. It is a powerhouse of a movie starring Oscar Award winners Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway. They are joined by John Lithgow, Michael Caine, Wes Bentley, Ellen Burstyn, David Oyelowo, Mackenzie Foy, Casey Affleck, and Oscar Award nominee Jessica Chastain. Written by Christopher and his brother Johnathan Nolan, Interstellar tells a tale of an earth that is coming perilously close to no longer being able to sustain mankind.

Armed with mathematical calculations Michael Caine's Dr. Brand and a team of NASA scientists believe that the only way to keep our species alive is to find a suitable planet in which to relocate on. The only problem is they don't really have a pilot. Conveniently McConaughey's Cooper is a pilot who actually once flew for NASA, was a one time University student of Dr. Brand's, and he just so happens to fall into their lap when he's needed the most. Dr. Brand convinces his one time student to pilot the mission and save his children, Cooper agrees to go after finding out that there were twelve previous astronauts sent through the wormhole and three of the twelve have been transmitting their locations back through the wormhole to earth. It's Cooper and his team's job to seek out those three planets to see which can sustain life the best. Sounds easy enough but Murphy's Law definitely come into effect and the bad guy is almost so obvious it's almost no shock when he reveals himself. The scene where he says goodbye to his kids and drives off to the countdown of the liftoff is gripping.

I won't call Interstellar a tearjerker but be prepared to have some tissue on hand just in case because the third act is chock full of some serious emotion. There is intrigue, drama, sabotage, and desperation but above all it is the emotion that ties this movie all together. Cooper and his daughter Murph have such a connection that not even a wormhole can sever. The production design by Nathan Crowley takes you from the homey comforts of Cooper's house to the closed in claustrophobic confines of space travel. The cinematography done by Hoyte Van Hoytema was masterful. Most of the images in this movie were breathtaking and I'm not just talking about the CGI work. Christopher once again employed the talents of Hans Zimmer to score the film and once again Hans delivers a score to a movie that didn't really need music that takes Interstellar to another level entirely. I loved this movie and I definitely think it's one of the best films of the year and quite possibly one of the best films I have ever had the privilege to lay eyes on. I'll see you at the theater.






1 comment: