Sunday, July 21, 2013

R.I.P.D.

R.I.P.D., the latest film from talented director Robert Schwentke is while at times charming, feels like an over the top rip off of Ghostbusters and MIB. It has it's moments but they are too few and far between to truly be likable. I will admit though that I was surprised to see Kevin Bacon play such a prominent role in this movie. Without him this film would have really stunk and because of that, I give R.I.P.D. a bucket and a half of Killer Korn.





Admittedly I haven't seen many of Robert Schwentke's films. To my defense though, Robert doesn't really have an extensive resume. I didn't see Red until it was on cable, but I did see the horrid Flightplan with Jodi Foster back in 2005, and I did see The Time Travelers Wife with Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams back in 2009, but that was only because I read that magical novel. Time Traveler is a far better film that Flightplan, so I thought maybe Robert is improving in his skills as a story teller which boded well for the ridiculous premise of R.I.P.D. Dead cops becoming afterlife cops, making sure the dead don't bother the living world and go where they are supposed to go. Eh, alright. Let's just say I wasn't sold on the story line but decided to give this movie a chance. Why did I do that? You ever ignore that little voice in your head that is contrary to what you're about to do, but speaks to how you really feel about doing it? Like when it says "don't marry that guy, he's no good for you", or "why are you out on a date with this girl, you know you'd rather be home playing Madden". That voice? I completely ignored mine here, completely.

R.I.P.D. stars Ryan Reynolds as Nick, a Boston police officer, and Jeff Bridges as Roy, a lawman from the 1800's or there about. There's also Mary-Louise Parker (who seems to love working with Robert) as Proctor, Kevin Bacon as Hayes, Nick's one time partner, and Stephanie Szostak who plays Julia, Nick's wife. The movie opens up with Nick burying something he shouldn't have in his possession, in his back yard under of all things, an orange tree. It wasn't there before so of course Julia notices it. After some playful banter between the two that seems to set Nick right, he tells his partner Hayes that he's out, he won't rat his partner out to the higher ups but he can't be involved in anything illegal anymore. Hayes seemingly goes along with it, but you already know where I'm going with this, right? That's another issues with this movie, it's so damn predictable that you can see the next fifteen moves coming a mile away.

Nick is killed, heads to purgatory where he is to await judgement on his soul. That never happens because his skills as an officer resonate with the R.I.P.D. aka the Rest In Peace Department. There he meets Proctor and she offers him a deal that would allow him to return to Boston which of course Nick is all for. He meets his new partner, Ray and off they go. I found Jeff's portrayal as Ray grating and annoying at times but what can you do, that's Jeff Bridges, the Oscar award winner. I'd be surprised if he didn't run roughshod over Robert during filming. Hayes is looking for what Nick buried, since Nick told him he buried it, and his wife all too willingly indicates that the orange tree in the backyard is new. Hayes digs up the priceless artifacts, thanks Julia, and promises not to besmirch Nick's reputation with the B.P.D.

The artifacts are actually gold pieces that when assembled with other pieces that have been scattered all around the globe, reverses the pull on souls headed to purgatory, and instead sends them back to earth. That of course would have a cataclysmic effect on the living world so Nick and Ray, who were suspended, are back on the case and they do everything they can to keep Hayes and his dead-o's from wrecking the earth. I don't know who greenlit this movie but that person I am sure is currently looking for new employment. R.I.P.D. cost $130 million dollars to make and if this movie breaks even, it will be a miracle. Now when I said this movie was a ripoff mixture of Ghostbusters and MIB, I meant it. Even the music by Christophe Beck sounds like what Danny Elfman did for the MIB series. The cinematography was impressive though, I have to give Alwin H. Kuchler his due, there was some impressive shots in this movie. Sadly that wasn't enough to convince me that staying home and playing Madden wouldn't have been a more enjoyable evening. Skip R.I.P.D., see Ghostbusters or any of the MIB series instead because they are far superior movies, (well maybe not the second MIB movie), and I'll see you at the theater.

1 comment:

  1. The ultimate sign..."playing Madden wouldn't have been a more enjoyable evening." I'm surprised you gave it a kernel! lol

    ReplyDelete