Sunday, January 3, 2016

Killer Korn's Top Ten Movies of 2015





Welcome friends. Here it is, the list of all lists and the list I know you've all been chomping at the bit for. I've felt your angst as you wondered how I ranked the movies of the past year. Well these are the flicks that get the coveted "Golden Kernel" so wait no longer my devoted fans (or my casual, don't really give a fuck fans). Now whether you agree or disagree you have to admit one thing...I have awesome taste in movies :) Anyway, ON TO THE LIST!




10 - Star Wars

Star Wars comes in at #10. It was a fun spectacle and JJ Abrams did his best to deliver an entertaining popcorn movie. It just fell short on the storytelling and it seemed more like a reboot with a few modern touches than something truly original. But because it brought out my inner twelve year old, it cracks the top ten.

Full review...




9 - Avengers: Age of Ultron

Avengers: Age of Ulton clocks in at #9. This over the top comic book movie ushered into the theaters by Joss Whedon was a good time for all. Not to mention, in my opinion it's a far better movie than it's predecessor...HANDS DOWN!

Full review...





8 - The Martian

The Martian, a Ridley Scott production flies in at #8. The Martian had one of the most engaging stories to come down the pike in a long time thanks to writer Andy Weir. When you add Ridley's iconic eye to the mix you're going to get a very entertaining movie and The Martian was just that.

Full review...






7 - Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation was without a doubt one of the best summer films this year which is why it's #7 on my list. It's far more entertaining than any of the previous Mission Impossible incarnations. That may have something to do with the talented Christopher McQuarrie helming this film. It was good enough to see twice...which is just what I did.

Full review...





6 - Sicario

Sicario rolls in at #6. This intense film by director Denis Villeneuve told a tale woven in lies, conspiracies, and littered with bodies. It was a moody slow burn but the payoff was well worth it in the end. It could have been slightly edgier but for my buck it was a very satisfying time at the movies.

Full review...




5 - Creed

Ryan Coogler's amazing film Creed punches its way to #5 on my list. It's a scintillating follow-up to his breathtaking breakout film Fruitvale Station. The story of Apollo Creed's illegitimate son wanting to become a professional fight and seeking out his father's biggest rival and best friend to help him accomplish that was fascinating on absolutely every level.

Full review...



4 - Beasts of No Nation

The only film on the list that I didn't see in the theater (thanks to Netflix) is Cary Joji Fukunaga's powerful and heartbreaking film Beasts of No Nation. If you wanted to see a movie that would stay with you long after it ended, something truly unforgettable, Beasts was that movie.

Full review...







3 - Black Mass

Scott Cooper's frightening biopic Black Mass makes #3 on my list. Johnny Depp's portrayal of gangster Whitey Bulger was nomination worthy in my opinion. I loved this movie and found it almost flawless.

Full review...








2 - Legend

If you haven't seen Brain Hegeland's film Legend then you must not like yourself very much. You deprived yourself of one of the best films and performances of the year. Tom Hardy romps and stomps through this movie playing both the Kray twins in this crackling biopic and carries Legend into the #2 spot on my list.

Full review...




And the most entertaining film of 2015 in my opinion is....


1 - Mad Max: Fury Road



How could George Miller's fiery, adrenaline fueled Mad Max: Fury Road NOT be the #1 film? Not only does this movie entertain you it will also leave you exhausted. It possesses the simplest story of all the films on this list but not one of them blew me away like the orchestrated madness of Miller's explosive pursuit movie. I've seen it multiple times and it never fails to delight me. Because of that Max takes first place on my 2015 top ten list.

Full review >>


Here's hoping 2016 is as entertaining as 2015. I'll be seeing you at the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment