Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Ben as Batman? Why Not?


People have lost their shit over this, literally. It's like EVERYONE feels Batman is their baby and that casting the horrid actor Ben Affleck is just going to ruin the one movie some people have been waiting for all their lives. Now I will say this, without Christopher Nolan being involved with this movie makes me cautious, I can't lie. It's not that Zack isn't a good director, it's just that Christopher Nolan's name tells me that what's going to be on screen is going to be quality.

Ben is a great director, but as great of a director he is, he is an equally bad actor. I loved Argo, LOVED it and wished to GOD he wasn't in it. That movie was fantastic, yet Ben looked like he was on Ambien the entire time he was in front of the camera. So I understood when people flipped out about Ben being cast as Batman, I partially flipped out too until I realized one very important thing, this isn't a Batman movie. This is the sequel to Man of Steel. That means more Henry Cavill than Ben Affleck, more of Superman's world than Batman's.

Granted there will be stretches of this movie when there will be Ben doing his Bruce Wayne/Batman thing, but for the most part, with most of the cast back from MOS we won't have to suffer through too much Ben. Now if Ben were directing this movie I'd be all in (not like I'm not all in now, but you know what I mean), just coming off the best picture Oscar with for Argo, I think Ben would do one hell of a job directing this film. But since Zack's MOS has made half a BILLION dollars, it's Ben to the bat cave.

Thankfully this Batman vs. Superman movie is being penned by the same guy that did MOS, David S. Goyer, and you know how I feel about the need for a good script, it's more important than the director most times. That also calmed me down and it should calm the movie world down as well. Ben won't dominate this film, he'll just be in it, and while I never in my wildest dreams thought Ben Affleck would ever be Batman, here he is. I trust Zack and David to get it right though, and hey, you never know, Ben could actually surprise us all...right?

Side note: Talk about a good thing getting better. A good amount of the production of this film will be shot in Detroit, a city that really needs help. There will be a major influx of money to all aspects of industry as the production rolls. I couldn't be happier for the motor city.

KillerKorn121@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Great break down of all the angles. Ever the voice of reason! :-)

    ReplyDelete