Monday, July 7, 2014

Life Itself

Life Itself, the latest film from acclaimed documentarian Steve James is a loving tribute to a towering man of principle and talent. Based on the book of the same name, Life Itself centers around the last days of Pulitzer Prize winning writer Roger Ebert. It is a heartwarming, funny, and ultimately tragic film filled with love, respect, and admiration. That's why I am giving Life Itself five buckets of Killer Korn.











Life Itself is the second best documentary I have ever seen (I won't get into the first one here), but even as the second best it is absolutely phenomenal. It is an engaging story of a man who knew just what he wanted to be since he was in single digits. Many know Roger Ebert through his TV show with fellow/rival critic Gene Siskel, At The Movies, where those two men debated passionately about movies once a week. I was an ardent fan and tuned in whenever the show aired. This movie however showed me another side of Roger I did not know. I had no idea he was a recovering alcoholic and met his wife Chaz at an AA meeting. I had no idea Roger wrote the screenplay for the movie Beyond The Valley of the Dolls, and I was shocked to learn that the reason Gene Siskel's name came before Roger's on their show was due to a simple, yet competitive coin flip.

Life Itself chronicles Roger's life from almost birth to death and all stations of his life in-between. It spoke to his carousing at the local bar after work and dealing with the hangovers the following day, to how he poured himself a scotch and soda, went to bed, pulled the covers over his head and never drank again. His friends were interviewed at length, everyone from directors Martin Scorsese, Werner Herzog, Ava DuVernay, and Ramin Bahrani to his fellow newspaper men from his paper The Chicago Sun-Times. Those chosen to be in this film spoke glowingly and eloquently about the rotund and charming movie critic. Life Itself spoke on his marriage to a Black woman, Chaz and his cantankerous relationship with Gene. It explored a life well lived by a man who taught so many. Roger showed me to hold true to the strength of my convictions regarding movies and to be brave enough to stand on my own with my sole dissenting opinion if need be. For that I will be forever grateful.

Shot by Dana Kruper, Life Itself was sliced together from Roger's early days to his last days and it was seamless. The music by Joshua Abrams was sparse but splendid. It held both the right touch of emotion be that sorrow, happiness, love, or hilarity and I take my hat off to him. This was a movie I did not want to end. I truly enjoyed getting to know Roger Ebert and I am saddened at the fact that I will never get to meet him, but I am thankful to him for all he's done for me and the world of cinema. Rest in peace Roger and I'll see you at the theater.  


MarkEricEntertainment


No comments:

Post a Comment